Intervention
(Just as a starting note, it has not been unusual for me to deliver babies in girls under 16. The youngest has been 13.) Today I had the wonderful opportunity to intervene in a hopefully life-changing way in the life of a 15 yr old girl. She came to the clinic for a routine "well-child" yearly exam but as part of that I took the time to address those major issues which arise during the teenage years. How quickly I had forgotten how hard it is to be 15 and to make good choices. Giving her the chance to speak freely (without Mom in the room) she opened up about difficulties with friends, peer pressure, boyfriends, plans for life after high school. Thankfully she is one whose innocence has not been completely lost. She shared how heart-broken and abandoned she felt in finding out that her boyfriend who she "had only kissed" was "cheating" on her. I took that moment to challenge her to think of how more alone she would feel if she had been even more intimate with him. It was such a relief to hear her say, "I think I know what you mean". She actually seemed to understand on some level that sex is not just a physiological interaction between two people but also a spiritual one. As I spoke with her about life goals and seeing herself as special and worthy of respect, I could see in her eyes that she knew I valued her as a person- I think she may have even believed me. I pray that moment is never lost to her mind or heart and that she may reach adulthood with a few less regrets because of our conversation.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home