Saturday, November 11, 2006

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Well I'm two days late for wishing my father a happy 53rd birthday. Every year since I left for college I have written him a letter for his birthday. I messed up this year but thankfully he's a very forgiving person. He will more than likely never see this post but I write so that others will know how awesome a Dad he is.

As far back as I can remember my father has worked so hard for the sake of his family. And he has done so with little complaint. Now he has busted knees, a back with the tendency to "go out", and too many scars to count. I have always been proud of his "blue collar", but I fear he thinks himself "unintelligent". I know better. He never received formal education past high school but has kept learning all the same. Reading has been a consistent part of his life and this naturally flowed through to his children. I continue to be impressed by the knowledge and skill he possesses and uses to perform his job. He's a bit of a philosopher, a theologian, a craftsman, an artist, an entertainer (oh, the stories), a musician, and a wonderful confidant. He's not a perfect man, and therefore not a perfect Dad. But as his daughter I have never doubted his love for me. He has been faithful to pray for me, show me affection, assure me of my own worth and abilities and support my dreams.

Although there are many layers to my father, at his core he is a simple but profound soul. How can a "reformed hippie" not be? I know that he loves Jesus, wants to be like him, and wants to be a usable vessel. He has learned many hard life lessons and is driven to share "the yoke that is easy" and "the burden that is light" with a needy humanity. He accepts people with such openness and lack of judgement. He enjoys the feel of wood, beautiful skies, wildflowers, feeding the birds, sci-fi movies, politics and having the love and support of his wife and children. As you might have guessed I think he's a pretty cool "Guy". I pray he may fully understand how much I love and cherish him and how much God has already used him in so many lives, including mine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

I not only think he knows how much you love him but he knows in his heart how important you are to him and how much your love means to him.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home